The new law amends certain provisions of Federal Law No. 6 of 1973 with respect to entry and residence of foreign nationals. In summary the new law addresses the following matters:
- The ‘Federal Authority for Identity and Citizenship’ (FAFIC) and the ‘Chairman of the Board of Directors for the Federal Authority for Identity and Citizenship’ replace the ‘Ministry of Interior’ and the ‘Minister of Interior’ respectively;
- Moving forwards, the Federal Authority for Identity and Citizenship is the authority authorised to issue visas and entry permits;
- In order to validly enter the UAE, foreign nationals must enter and exit through approved ports, must hold a valid passport and must obtain a valid visa and entry permit;
- Employers are required to register their foreign national employees’ basic data as per the executive regulations which are expected to follow;
- The Chairman of the Board of Directors for the Federal Authority for Identity and Citizenship and the Federal Public Prosecutor are authorised to deport foreign nationals;
- Undertaking the act of unlawful entry, smuggling, harbouring, accommodating illegal foreigners, aiding and abetting will attract various penalties as detailed in the law;
- Further regulatory procedures are expected to follow to deal with the procedure for arrest and deportation of foreign nationals.