On 3 March 2021, the Minister of Manpower, Mrs Josephine Teo, announced (amongst other things) that the Ministry of Manpower of Singapore (“MOM”) will be regularising work arrangements for Dependant’s Pass (“DP”) holders working in Singapore.
Currently, dependants of Employment Pass holders, EntrePass holders and Personalised Employment Pass holders will need to apply for a Letter of Consent (“LOC”) if they intend to work in Singapore.
From 1 May 2021, all DP holders who wish to work in Singapore, will be required to apply for a relevant work pass (i.e. Employment Pass, S Pass or Work Permit).
Existing DP holders with valid LOCs will be allowed to continue working for their existing employer until the expiry of their LOCs. However, their employers will need to apply for a relevant work pass for them to continue working in Singapore, after their LOCs expire. Please note that they will therefore, be subject to the requirements of the relevant work passes (set out below).
Eligibility for Employment Pass
Applicants who wish to apply for an Employment Pass must:
- have a job offer in Singapore;
- work in a managerial, executive or specialised job;
- earn a fixed monthly salary of at least:
- S$5,000 (more experienced candidates require higher salaries) for applicants in the financial services sector; and
- S$4,500 (more experienced candidates require higher salaries) for applicants in other sectors; and
- have acceptable qualifications, usually a good university degree, professional qualifications or specialist skills.
Eligibility for S Pass
Applicants who wish to apply for an S Pass must:
- earn a fixed monthly salary of at least S$2,500 (more experienced candidates require higher salaries);
- have a degree or diploma – the MOM may consider technical certificates, such as courses for qualified technicians or specialists (the certification should require at least 1 year of full-time study); and
- have relevant work experience.
Work permits are subject to sector-specific rules. The eligibility criteria for work permits can be found here.
DP Holders who are Business Owners
DP holders who are currently business owners will be eligible to continue running their business based on a Letter of Consent, provided that their business meets the following criteria:
- the DP holder is a sole proprietor, partner or company director with at least a 30% shareholding in the business; and
- the business hires at least one (1)Singaporean/permanent resident, who earns at least the prevailing Local Qualifying Salary (currently S$1,400) and receives CPF contributions for at least 3 months.
DP holders who currently do not meet the above criteria may continue to run their business under their current LOC, until its expiry, or may apply for a one-off extension of their LOC until 30 April 2022, when next renewing their DP. Thereafter, such DP holders will need to meet the above criteria in order to renew their LOC. Otherwise, they would need to obtain a relevant work pass in order to continue working in Singapore.
Further details will be released by the Ministry of Manpower on 1 May 2021.
For more information on the above, please click here.