The Ministry of Commerce and Industry’s Circular No. 24 of 2020 on determining working hours for commercial activities, announced that employees attending the workplace are only permitted to work between the hours of 7am to 8pm from Sunday to Thursday.
The Circular came into force on Thursday, 4 June 2020. The following activities are exempt:
- Outlets selling food products, consumer goods and subsidised supplies (hypermarkets, supermarkets and groceries) and shops selling fruit and vegetables;
- Petroleum stations and car services;
- Maintenance companies (electricity, plumbing and electronic services);
- Companies delivering orders through electronic apps;
- Logistics services companies and freight firms operating in ports and customs services;
- Car maintenance workshops affiliated with agencies;
- Telecommunications companies;
- Companies operating in the hospitality sector;
- Restaurants, cafeterias and cafes (coffee shops) that are allowed to deliver or hand over orders to customers outside the business place. However, restaurants and cafes located in malls are exempt from this decision and are only allowed to process delivery orders. These outlets are prohibited from handing over orders to customers inside the premises; and
- Contracting and engineering companies; are allowed to operate in construction sites along with affiliated engineering offices.