The following amendments are due to be tabled in the Indian Parliament with reference to Factories:
- Requiring an occupier of the factory to obtain permission from the State government before making any expansion of his factory, because such an expansion may involve hazards to the safety of workers as well as the people in the vicinity.
- Enhancing the State Governments’ role in setting norms for health standards in factories.
- Increase in the liability of the manufacturer to ensure safe machinery within the factory.
- Imposing harsher penalties for health hazards on the factory manager along with stricter punishment for contravention of the provisions of the labour laws.
- Increase in the overtime (OT) limit to 100 hours in a 3 month period from the current maximum of 50 hours in a quarter.