1. Requirements for Foreign Employees to Work In principle, EU nationals are free to circulate and provide work within the European Economic Area subject only to certain registration obligations. A long stay visa is regulated in the framework of the existing national legislation and may be either for temporary stays or for residence, according to […]
1. Types of Representations Workers’ associations in Portugal include: trade unions, federations, unions and confederations. 2. Nomination of Representatives Employees are elected as workplace union representatives by direct secret ballot. Union representatives are entitled to special rights.
1. Employee Rights With regard to the applicable procedure, should there be no WoCo/Union in place, pre-signing or pre-transfer consultation is not required. However, the transferor and the transferee should inform the employees in writing of the contemplated transaction, its motives as well as any potential legal, economic and social consequences to the employees. TUPE […]
1. Brief Description of Employees and Employers Organizations Trade union associations are entitled to: negotiate and enter into Collective Bargaining Agreements, provide services of an economic and social nature to their members; take part in drafting labour legislation; initiate and intervene in legal cases and administrative procedures to defend their members’ interests; take part in […]
1. Minimum Requirements Essentially, employment contracts may be open ended or fixed term. The duration of a fixed term employment contract is limited in time and to a certain number of renewals. Portuguese law requires fixed-term contracts, intermittent contracts, teleworking and part-time employment contracts (fixed or indefinite) to be made in writing. This requirement does […]
1. Legal Framework In Portugal, with the exception of certain independent professional areas which have their own pension benefits framework, employees, independent contractors and even members of corporate bodies contribute to the public Social Security regime on a mandatory basis. 2. Contributions Contributions may vary depending on the type of employment contract and job performed […]
1. Grounds for Termination Contracts of employment may come to an end due to: expiry; dismissal by the employer; on the employee’s own initiative (terminating the contract or giving notice) and mutually agreed termination. 2. Termination by the Employee The employee may immediately terminate the contract in cases of what Portuguese Law qualifies as “fair […]
1. Minimum Working Conditions Minimum working conditions are specifically set out in the law in a wide range of aspects, from health and safety to minimum wage, maximum working hours, etc. In a nutshell, employers have to ensure that all employees are entitled to safe and proper working conditions for the full performance of their […]