Authorizations for Foreign Employees in Japan

Foreign nationals need to obtain “status of residence” (often called work visa, although strictly speaking visa is necessary to enter Japan and status of residence is required to work after entering Japan) to work or stay long-term in Japan, and their work needs to be within the scope of their status of residence. There are types of status which do not limit the type of work activities allowed, which are “permanent resident”, “spouse of permanent resident”, or “spouse, etc. of a Japanese national”. The types of status usually obtained to work in companies in Japan are as follows:

  1. Investor/business manager (ex. company presidents, officers)
  2. Legal/accounting services (ex. attorneys certified in Japan)
  3. Engineer (ex. scientific engineers)
  4. Specialist in humanities/International Services (ex. foreign language teachers)
  5. Intra-company transferee (ex. people transferred to the Japanese branch (head office of the same company, etc.)
  6. Skilled labor (ex. chefs specializing in the food of a foreign country)
For more information, please contact L&E Global.
This entry was posted in Authorizations for Foreign Employees on and modified on .