Persons who possess special skills, knowledge or experience of value not readily available in Hong Kong may apply to the Immigration Department to work under the General Employment Policy (hereafter the “GEP”) or the Admission Scheme for Mainland Talents and Professionals (hereafter the “ASMTP”, for Chinese residents of the Mainland).
In general, circumstances under which an application may be favourably considered include:
- no security objection and no known record of serious crime in respect of the applicant;
- academic and technical qualifications, proven professional abilities and/or relevant experience and achievements supported by documentary evidence;
- there is a genuine job vacancy;
- the applicant has a confirmed offer of employment and is employed in a job relevant to his academic qualifications or work experience that cannot be filled by the local work force; and
- the remuneration package including income, accommodation, medical and other fringe benefits is broadly commensurate with the prevailing market level for professionals in Hong Kong.