Authorizations for Foreign Employees in France

The employer must ensure that the employee to be hired is authorized to work in France:

  • Where the employee is already in France, the employer will have to check that the employee has a valid residence permit allowing him to work in France, and keep a copy thereof;
  • Where the employee is not yet established in France, the employer should undergo a three-step process “of introducing a foreign worker in France”:
    • Obtain from the French unemployment agency (“a document certifying that there are no workers available to fill jobs in the country,
    • File to the Labour authorities (i.e. the Territorial Unit of DIRECCTE) an application package,
    • Inform the French Immigration Office (the OFII) of the entry in France of an immigrant and pay the OFII a fee.

Please note that nationals of most countries of the European Union have the right to work freely in France without a specific work permit. The only document required for their job is an identity card or passport to prove their nationality.

For more information on these articles or any other issues involving labour and employment matters in France, please contact Joël Grangé, Partner at Flichy Grangé Avocats ( at
This entry was posted in Authorizations for Foreign Employees on and modified on .