Authorizations for Foreign Employees in Australia

In order to legally work in Australia, a foreign employee must have a permanent or long-stay visa. All foreign workers are guaranteed the conditions of the NES in their employment, and employers of foreign workers must abide by both workplace and immigration laws in their dealings.

There are a variety of ways in which Australian businesses can employ workers from non-Australian jurisdictions, but all require the employee to be the holder of one or other of a series of visas (there are exceptions for Australian Citizens, New Zealand citizens and Australian permanent residents, who have unlimited permission to work in Australia).

For more information on these articles or any other issues involving labour and employment matters in Australia, please contact Michael Harmer, Partner at Harmers Workplace Lawyers ( at
This entry was posted in Authorizations for Foreign Employees on and modified on .